✨ Matus Law Group - Celebrating 20 Years ✨

What to Do If Your Child’s IEP or 504 Accommodations Are Not Being Provided

Last updated on: November 16, 2020

Your child’s accommodations at school are essential. They were developed to be specifically tailored to your him so that he can learn effectively. Without those accommodations, your child may fall behind and may not be getting the education that he needs—and is entitled to receive. So, what can you do as a parent whose child may not be getting the education they need? Actually, a lot.

Start by Talking to Your Child’s Teacher

It is a good idea to talk to the teachers that are not providing the accommodations that your child needs. Sometimes a reminder of your child’s needs can be enough to ensure that the teacher makes changes. In the hustle and bustle of the daily classroom, there are situations where a child’s accommodations may be overlooked.

Make a note to yourself about who you talked to, when, and where you were. This information could be important down the road.

Take it to the Next Level

If your child’s teacher is still not providing the accommodations that your child needs, you should talk to the principal. While you can certainly set up an in-person meeting, you should also follow up this meeting with a letter stating your concerns. You can also use this letter to get the conversation started too.

Your letter should also mention when you spoke with your child’s teacher and the results of that conversation. Providing this letter to the principal offers a helpful paper trail to show that you went through these steps if matters are still not resolved after this step.

Moving Up the Chain

If things still have not changed, it is time to speak to the child study team in a formal manner.  Send a written request to your child’s case manager requesting a meeting with the child study team.  Be sure to also make this request in writing and outline the steps that you have already taken to attempt to address the problem.

Getting Professional Help

If it seems like your voice is not being heard, you may need to involve a professional. In fact, you can get professional assistance at any point in this process.  Your requests may be taken more seriously if they come from an attorney or if you have an attorney present with you at the child study team meeting.

Professionals like the team at the Matus Law Group can help you assert your child’s rights at any point in this process.  You absolutely have options if your child’s school refuses to help your child with his or her learning or attention issues. Learn more by contacting our team. Call 732-281-0060 for more information or to schedule an appointment.

Christine Matus

Picture of Christine Matus
Christine Matus

FREE Webinar on Special Needs

Estate & Financial Planning.

4/11 at 4 PM

Call Now Button